[paho-dev] Ending support of Java 1.4 in Paho

Hi All,

As you may or may not know, the Paho Java client currently supports Java 1.4 as it's minimum JRE, Which has now been out of support since 2008.

There have been a few bugs raised recently where we've accidentally implemented features not supported by the 1.4 JRE and we are trying to fix them now so that the 1.3.0 release in November fully supports Java 1.4. This is important because I'm hoping that 1.3.0 will be the last release to support it and so I want to make sure that anyone stuck using 1.4 has a good last release to use.

What should the new minimum JRE / JDK be that we support? Java 5 is also out of extended support with Java 6 to follow next year. Maybe if we go with Java 6 or 7 as the new minimum?

I'm going to create a new feature branch in GitHub where any Java 6 and above only features can live until after we've released 1.3.0, after which they can be merged back into develop.

Hope that makes sense / sounds sensible to everyone.

Kind regards,

James Sutton
Software Engineer - IoT Foundation - MQTT Open Source Projects
Ops Team - Wimbledon Project

Phone: 01962 815438 | Extension: x372454
E-mail:
Personal Website: www.jsutton.co.uk
Find me on:
IBM

Hursley Park
HursleySO212JN
United Kingdom

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6 3AU
Unless stated otherwise above: