Re: [paho-dev] Post 1.2

Hi Ian,

To be clear there's nothing that I'm dying to break compatiblity for,
but it would be convenient at some point. In the past I've found that
once I think about making a breaking change, there are lots of other
things that pop up as good things to change at the same time. The
other thing is that becuase we're a bit of an unusual project at
Eclipse, it probably makes at least some sense to coordinate
breakages. It probably doesn't really matter but if the Python client
had breaking changes in the release after 1.2, then the Java client in
the one after that, then the C client the one after than, then at that
point the project would be on version 4.0.

There's no reason I can see not to continue with 1.2.x service releases.

I agree that not all components would have to join, that's effectively
the same as it is with all releases for us. I would say that if we
were planning to do something as radical as drop support for MQTT v3.1
then all clients should aim to do that at the same time, it just feels
right.

Cheers,

Roger