Re: [paho-dev] Items for Paho Roadmap

Hi Ian,

I'm planning to put together a release roadmap for Paho for the next year to 18 months.  Items on the list include:

Hey, that’s a great list! A few comments inline.

- contributing to M2Mqtt: regression tests, disk persistence, maybe some other items
- offline buffering (ability to send while not connected) and automatic reconnect for C, Java and _javascript_ clients

I am not sure I understand the rationale? To quote Andy Piper in some early Paho presentations, I see Paho as one of these tools from the “gnu” toolbox that can be piped into other tools. If one wants to have store and forward support, I don’t think that’s the responsibility of the core communication stack?
FWIW, when I want to use say an HTTPClient from Apache Commons, I don’t expect it to do the cache management for me, nor do I expect the API to be cluttered with such features. The HTTP Cache would be another optional component, right?
Or is maybe the intention to make this “offline buffering” a side/optional component as well? In which case I think we may already have such a component, in the form of Kura’s MQTT transport service, no?

- ongoing embedded client improvements: proper FreeRTOS support, asynchronous clients, build improvements, documentation: porting guides, tutorials, formal MQTTClient-C release
- Android service stability - it's possible James has achieved much of this already, but we'll have to

I think the Android service could perhaps use some love in terms of promoting a sample application built on top of it. The https://eclipse.org/paho/clients/android/ web page could probably include some code snippets (just like for the other flavours), and we could have an official sample Paho app “a la MQTTlens/MQTT.fx” on the Play store?

- WebSockets support for C, Python clients (any others?)
- MQTT-SN to MQTT embedded gateway
- MQTT conformance test material

+1. I would be happy to help promote such material.

- possibly an MQTT forwarder for DMZ (it's been mooted, but I'm not exactly sure what it means)

Not sure what it means either. I have the impression this is also an item where you may want to point people at Kura?

- device management in the form of a LwM2M mapping over MQTT.  However, before we can commit to an implementation plan, the Eclipse Foundation is working to clarify a few legal matters with the OMA.

Yup.

Thanks!
Benjamin –

Back to the top