Re: [paho-dev] MQTT-SN talk at EclipseCon

Il 17/03/2015 20:27, Ian Craggs ha scritto:
Stefano,

I think this is an interesting question.  MQTT-SN, like MQTT is
publish-subscribe, which means messages are sent to topics rather than a
particular receiver.  In MQTT, you have to connect to a server, so to
some extent that server becomes part of the destination of the message
along with the topic.  The same thing happens in MQTT-SN when you
connect to a server.

But when you use QoS -1 in MQTT-SN, without a connection to a server,
then what does that mean?  For a UDP implementation, you can send
messages to a particular multicast group, so you could say that that
group becomes part of the destination.  Receivers of those messages can
forward them on, so that the message can reach a destination to which
the originator was not visible.

So, I think that MQTT-SN applications could take advantage of the
underlying transport's mesh networking capabilities.  An application
could interpret a topic as containing a destination for instance, and
use the transport's capabilities to get it there.

Interesting. The paradigm of messaging is something that could be applied to mesh networking, solving a few issues...

I need to start studying MQTT-SN. We've been working with MQTT only at the moment and I'm really curious to see if SN can be an extension that fits our more frequent needs: (1) internal communication between CPU Boards in products (in situations where MQTT is already a solution for interprocess and cloud connection) and (2) sub Giga networks of devices with a very limited memory footprint, again where MQTT is a natural choice for uplink to cloud.

Are you aware of a simple starting point for MQTT-SN (slideshow or discussion)?

Back to the top