  Original Message
From: Kamil Baczkowicz
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:58 PM
To: General development discussions for paho project
Reply To: General development discussions for paho project
Subject: Re: [paho-dev] Java MQTT Client GUI Utility & mqtt-spy

Thanks everyone for your replies.

1) Re existing Paho tools

To sum up, I gather that Paho has the following utilities available
(correct me if I'm wrong):

a) Eclipse MQTT UI Plugin & standalone client based on Eclipse Rich
Client Platform - as mentioned by Bin
b) Standalone Paho MQTT Utility (port of the IBM Java GUI / IA92) - as
mentioned by Andy and Ian

What could help with promoting the above:

- mention them all on the Paho webpage
- decide on uniform names and stick to them, e.g. Paho Eclipse MQTT UI
Plug-in, Paho MQTT UI (standalone), Paho MQTT Utility (IA92 port)

Then, there are two other pages where various tools are listed (so
this might need an update too):

- http://mqtt.org/wiki/doku.php/tools
- https://github.com/mqtt/mqtt.github.io/wiki/tools

Q: do we need two pages? Maybe we should put a link from one to another?

I'd be happy to offer my help/time in relation to all the above if you need it.

2) mqtt-spy

I agree with all of you that having different GUIs and implementations
is good, as very often choosing one is down to personal preferences
and/or system requirements/limitations.

I'm happy to contribute the code, and I'm happy to keep working on it
for the foreseeable future.

Questions from my side:

a) Would you rather see mqtt-spy as a Paho utility, or a separate
Eclipse IoT project (similar to mosquitto & moquette)? Does it make
any difference?

b) Following the move to Eclipse, what are your views on the project's
name and a simple page dedicated to it? (e.g. similar to what's
current there at https://code.google.com/p/mqtt-spy/)

I also have a few more technical questions about maintaining/running
the project under Paho/Eclipse umbrella, but probably better to
discuss that offline with someone - who could advise me on that?

Cheers,
Kamil