Re: [p2-dev] Pack200 compression

I'm not currently a committer, though happy to, if invited. :)

To sum up:

  1. The Pack200 clean room implementation written in Java, it can
     compress and decompress java bytecode and pack.gz files, it was a
     module developed as part of Apache Harmony, AL2 licensed.
2. Oracle owns the Pack200 Standard copyright. https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/specs/pack-spec.html
  3. OpenJDK's Pack200 test compatibility kit, is GPL2 with classpath
     exception, (I haven't gone down this road yet, but it's ideal for
     testing compatibility, with some modification for the libraries
     different api).
  4. We won't be implementing any of the Java API's copyrighted by Oracle.

Oracle is deprecating the Pack200 standard and its GPL2 licensed implementation.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/legal/copyright.html

Thanks,

Peter.

On 28/06/2018 8:54 PM, Mickael Istria wrote:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > @Daniel: would you mind contacting EMO Legal asking them about
    this and sharing the answer here?

    Peter should do that as he knows better what he's exactly doing
    ;-). Also, I will be away next week and fully booked today.

Is Peter a committer on any Eclipse.org project? I'm afraid if he sends the request without backup from a committer, it will be rejected as "sorry, we only work for Eclipse.org projects, and don't do legal consulting for the whole wide world".