From:        Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        09/16/2013 01:29 PM
Subject:        Re: [p2-dev] Security/maintenance updates for Eclipse & RPMs
Sent by:        p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hey David,

Software managed by RPM is distinguished by it's location, so there is
no risk of replacing a wrong bundle. Feature patches are great, but they
don't scale :-( - in the sense that I can't monitor all Eclipse features
for all dependencies - and ship feature patches in-sync. Not to mention
that each new feature patch would require package rebuild. As I've said
- feature patch does not scale for such a fast changing environments as
Fedora.

That's why I still  hope I will be able to patch out features
on-the-fly, when a new version of a library is detected. The only
question is whether a patched feature will satisfy all the requirements
it was satisfying earlier.

But maybe there is another approach I did not think of...

--
Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat