Re: [p2-dev] Security/maintenance updates for Eclipse & RPMs

I think a feature patch is the normal way to replace "one bundle"? (or more) It typically references the exact feature (and version) it is replacing, so there is no danger of being applied to "the wrong" instance of an installed Eclipse.

HTH

From:        Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        p2-dev <p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        09/16/2013 01:03 PM
Subject:        [p2-dev] Security/maintenance updates for Eclipse & RPMs
Sent by:        p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help :).

So there is this concept of security updates in Linux, having each
library only once in the system, wrapped in a stand-alone package,
symlinked, and being updated asynchronously.

The problem is that due to the P2/Eclipse/OSGi strictness it is not
possible to update a bundle, because:
* qualifier will change
* features requiring particular bundle will no longer resolve (and
features requiring them, and the product in the end)
* p2 is broken when profile is out of bundles.info

What could be done to support such a scenario in Eclipse? So far I've
thought about:
* rebuilding with the same qualifier - this breaks OSGi rules and even
does not work, because osgi caches old code
* p2less installations - not really an option, people must be able to
install things
* on-demand profile generation - does not work because features use
hardcoded qualifiers.

Is there something else I could consider?

--
Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat