From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mikhail Kalkov
Sent: July-31-13 8:15 AM
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] 3rd party installers, droplets, etc

Hi,

I'll refrain from technical comments since I'm not that good in p2 internals, but will comment on the problem description.

I think Pascal is right that ability to replace a part of base installation without affecting other parts would benefit Linux package managers. However, I think the actual user group for this feature is wider, and includes anybody willing to version-control parts of Eclipse. This is pretty much the case for any centrally managed installation, even on Windows.

Right now it is only possible to version control Eclipse installation as a whole (i.e., "single package"), so one has to create a new installation for each new bundle version. However this approach does not scale because each complete installation is quite large, and due to a large number of bundles, new installations have to be created too often. Therefore, one is forced to fallback to using dropins (i.e., one "base package" + several "bundle packages"), which are very fragile and the use of which is discouraged.

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov