Re: [p2-dev] P2 security management

As Henrik said, the repository serialization format is not API. Instead p2 provides various APIs to interact with the repositories (I*Repository) and API to create the IUs themselves (see MetadataFactory class in bundle org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata).
That said, don't worry about the repository format changing. Even it was to change we would retain backward compatibility with the existing format to not cause grief to the ecosystem.

On the actual solution, thinking out loud, I'm wondering if you can map the user access rights to p2 categories (a category is just an IU with requirements on the IUs that needs to be shown as part of the category), and to identify which category to show for each right, you could have the category provide specific capabilities. This way, once the application has determined the rights for a given user, the application just has to query the categories for the determined rights and then show the categorized content. With this approach you may be able to have a content.xml that is "static" rather than being generated on every request.

Note that with the generative approach you are taking you want to be careful to the timestamp being returned on the HEAD requests that p2 does to the server to avoid unnecessary downloads. This is because p2 caches content.xml locally based on the timestamp and does HEAD request to know if it is still up-to-date.

HTH

Pascal

On 2013-01-03, at 6:07 AM, Ervin O wrote:

Sorry for the late answer.

This is exactly what I want to do.

I just want to display custom set of modules(~IUs for simplicity) for the clients based on their access rights. I also need an administration interface where the module developers can publish their modules(module metadata), and the administrators can manage the user's priviliges. The priviliges, users, and metadata for the modules will be stored in a database and I will dinamically generate custom content.xmls for the clients from the database. When the provisioning is initiated, the client downloads this tailored  content.xml, and the invokes the IMetaDataRepositoryManager#loadRepository on the local copy. Currenty I am working on this content.xml generator. The problem is that I think it is not a standardized format for the metadata, but I hope that it won't change in the near future. (I didn't find any schema definition in the content.xml generated by Eclipse) It would be a great improvement in the future to standardize the format of a P2 repository. :)

If you have a better idea then don't hesitate to share it with me.

Thank you,

Ervin