Re: [p2-dev] A typical use-case

Am 27.02.2012 23:01, schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
> Another way to reduce the pain would be to introduce smarter
> protocols that would enable p2 queries to be sent and evaluated on a
> server rather than copying the "database" in its entirety to the client.

I don't think that downloading the database is a bad idea. Once the
database is local, all future queries can happen local. There seems to
be an issue with too many database downloads, though. Sometimes p2 does
too many downloads for the same database. I whish the caching would be a
bit more agressive. Another option might be to ship software packages
pre-loaded with local databases.

> The simple solution that is feasible short-term is to maintain separate repositories.

I tend to agree. Even for my target platform definitions I tend to be
more specific and avoid composites. Luckily, I have shell access and can
browse the download servers to find the one I want. But other users just
get the 404/403 and will never find out if a repo is a composite or not.
I wonder if directory browsing should be enabled for download servers.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx