Re: [p2-dev] read timeout problems

Odd that the information in the p2.index does not seem to be honoured. Maybe it continues if there is a problem delivering it (timeout), but I don't really know the logic around the p2.index file. This is Ian Bull's domain IIRC.

Regarding delivering an access denied status when a not found (404) should have been delivered is never good as you are basically saying "the file is there but you are not allowed to read it".

One potential source of problems is if the update site has changed over time, and user once got hold of index information (in jars or xml files) that are no longer present - I can imagine checks being made in those cases for those specific files even if the p2.index file says otherwise. In this case delivering an access denied instead of 404 does not give the p2 client side a chance to correctly update the cached information as it will continue to believed the file is there. (I am just speculating though).

Hope that is of some help.
Regards