Re: [p2-dev] P2 dropins monitoring facility

Installing bundles via the drop-ins exists only to support backwards compatibility and isn't recommended going forward. You should investigate using the director [1] for installing into your product. Bundles which can't be installed are ignored because everything installed via the drop-ins is considered optional.

You can get debug level information by doing the following. You should see information printed out in the console.
1). create a file with the following contents:
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core/debug=true
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core/reconciler=true
2). Run Eclipse with -debug <filename>

There is some internal event notification code (IProvisioningEventBus) which could be used to receive events when new things get installed, etc but we don't have API for that yet. If you search for references to that class and InstallableUnitEvent that might give you an idea of how it is used.

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/p2_director.html

Inactive hide details for Dileepa Jayakody ---2011/11/28 06:36:21 AM---Hi all, We are using equinox p2 as the provisioning systDileepa Jayakody ---2011/11/28 06:36:21 AM---Hi all, We are using equinox p2 as the provisioning system in our osgi based

Dileepa Jayakody <dileepa@xxxxxxxx>

p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

2011/11/28 06:36 AM

[p2-dev] P2 dropins monitoring facility

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

We are using equinox p2 as the provisioning system in our osgi based application platform. I have a requirement of monitoring the installation process of the bundles in the dropins folder. After reading some documentations I found out that dropins folder is scanned at the framework initialization and dropins bundles are installed from there. However, AFAIK it doesn't give a log of activities, errors in the dropins bundle installation process. The bundles with errors are simply ignored.

I would like to write a component to monitor the dropins by logging the installation process. Can somebody please advice me on how to start working on this? A reference to some relevant guides/documentations would be highly useful and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dileepa