[p2-dev] Sharing Your Shared Install Issues

As Pascal previously mentioned, we would like to improve the p2 Shared Install experience in the Juno release. Currently we are gathering a list of issues to try and help prioritize things. Considering the limited resources we have, we will not be able to solve all the problems without the help of the community and we would like to work through the biggest blockers and pain points. Without help from the community we will not make progress.

I've created Bug 358471 [1] as an umbrella bug report to cover the plan item and added other bugs to its dependency list. I've also started a wiki page [2] to capture some of the problems we are facing. If you have issues with the Shared Install scenario, then please add them to the list so we can begin discussions.

Just to be clear we are not only looking for bugs, but constructive discussion about how to fix problems, background surrounding shared install setups (what's rpm? ;-), and for people to say "this problem is important to me and I'd like to help out, what can I do?".

As for discussions, if you want to talk about a particularly focused problem then the bug report is most likely the best medium. More general discussions can be directed to the p2 mailing list, along with notes being put on the wiki page. Also note that some members of the p2 and Equinox teams hang out on the equinox-dev IRC channel [3] if you have a quick question. We do encourage most discussion to happen in bug reports though, as it captures it for everyone to see and reference later.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your ideas and finding solutions to your problems.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/358471
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Shared_Install
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/IRC

Back to the top