From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pascal Rapicault
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:56 PM
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] Publishing units with whole manifest

On 2011-07-19, at 5:17 PM, Kapukaranov, Borislav wrote:

Virgo’s repository environment is as controlled as Eclipse’s and people do have the chance or at least we would like to give them the chance to install things from various repos.
Only Virgo’s own repository structure is controlled in a sense that it needs to cover any isolation scenarios that we might have with the regions and also there is a defined repository structure for backwards compatibility.

The control over bundles(with plans) is just like p2’s features, with the only difference we add scoping, to some plans, but still the users controls how and if to group artifacts - again the parallel with the p2 features, where the user controls them.

TBH I like 2) from the previous mail more than the “easy” solution J That much downloading sounds heavy in contrast with lazy manifest loading.

            I knew you would say that :) and I agree.

            If this is the solution we decide to go forward with, do you think someone on your end (I would assume Katya or Shenol) could look into dealing with the lazy loading of this attribute? However before doing this, are we sure that adding back the manifest as it was would suffice to deal with your use cases.

I agree that tools are much more “uses”-friendly than people.

Here’s an example, install all bundles and refresh them. Bundle D will still be in “installed” state and if you “diag” it, uses conflict error will be dumped.

            Btw,  I assume that if this had been installed by p2, D would have installed successfully?

Best Regards

Borislav