|Re: [p2-dev] Publishing units with whole manifest|
Thanks for the answer J
I was intending to fail early therefore perform the uses resolution before downloading.
Still the technical solution isn’t fixed and it’s good to have options in mind, so I’m curious in the easy solution, can you share it? J
I agree with you on 2 and 4.
BTW do you know when the manifest is currently loaded?
On the Virgo aspect:
1) I’m not sure if I understood the question entirely but currently in a standard Virgo, there is only Equinox resolution and we’ve seen it fail because of “uses”.
2) If by resolver you mean Equinox’s, there is a method to set a resolver hook to the resolver.
On 2011-07-12, at 7:29 PM, Borislav Kapukaranov wrote:
The code still has a reduced set of "interestingKeys" in BundlesAction:411-426 (toManifestString() method).
It seems this change is fairly old. Is it possible that tycho uses older p2.publisher version?
From memory Tycho has not yet been updated to use p2 3.7.
What you've seen in BundlesAction is everything when it comes to generate an IU from a bundle. There is no flag to keep on including a complete manifest in the IU.
I'm curious about that because when integrating Virgo with p2 it became clear that the manifest of some artifacts or at least parts of it needs to be published as well in order to transfer the "uses" package data it contains and extract it later when deploying but prior executing the provisioning plan to feed it in an Equinox resolver.
To be sure, do you intend to do this resolution before downloading the bundles?
If you don't, I have an easy answer, if you do, it is another story :)
Stepping back on why we stopped including the complete manifest in 3.7, this was mostly done to improve the memory consumption when loading large repos. Given that other changes have been done, it would worth checking what would be the cost of reintroducing the manifests. Aside from this I can think of several solutions:
1) adding a flag to the publisher for the IUs to always include the manifests, but this could cause an issue for the consumer since some IUs in the dependency chain of the one he wants to consume may not have the required manifest information.
2) adding back the manifest in every IU, but improve the parsing code to skip over the attribute and only load it on demand
3) enhancing the p2 requirement model to include the uses flag (so you would have the data in there and could continue on what I assume is inferring the manifest from the IU requirements) and having it be ignored by the p2 resolver for now.
4) change the code in BundlesAction to include the complete manifest if it has a uses clause.
At this point, I think that 2 and 4 are the most viable. 3 would work, but is heavier to coordinate since it will require a metadata change unless we decide to play some trick with how the uses clause is expressed (e.g. we could have it be a provided capability instead of a requirement but this is really ugly :) ).
Now two questions on the virgo aspect:
- How often does the resolution fail when the app is actually deployed?
- How will you handle the regions while invoking the resolver?
So if there is a standard way to configure publishing the whole manifest it would be helpful to understand how its done.
If there isn't then what do you think is the best way to transfer extra manifest data from publishing to the resolution phase?
An idea can be to publish properties to the IUs containing just the "uses" data or maybe a new "uses" xml element. Obviously reverting to publish the whole manifest again is a step backwards.
2011/7/12 Борислав Капукаранов <b.kapukaranov@xxxxxxxxx>
While browsing Eclipse's hudson server I stumbled upon some maven/tycho build jobs that publish p2 repositories with units containing the whole artifact manifest.
For example check out the content.xml here: https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/gemini-management/ws/gemini.mgmt.repository/target/site/
The pom.xml used to build this site is here: https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/gemini-management/ws/gemini.mgmt.repository/pom.xml
Another example is this jetty repo: https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/view/Jetty-RT/job/jetty-wtp/ws/org.eclipse.jst.server.jetty.site/target/packed/repository/
I thought publishing the whole manifest is removed from p2 due to performance issues. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the code too.
Is it still possible to activate it somehow, considering these repositories I found?