[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [p2-dev] Improving logging in p2
- From: "Dahanne, Anthony" <Anthony.Dahanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:22:44 -0500
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Importance: normal
- Priority: normal
- Thread-index: AcvU/ykkUILeizcBS1e6nP2wFZ3XFQAAGdiA
- Thread-topic: [p2-dev] Improving logging in p2
+1 for slf4j, with the logback implementation.
Furthermore, it is already in Orbit http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S20110124210048/
Are you going to create a bug entry ?
Le contenu de ce courriel s'adresse au destinataire seulement. Il contient de l'information pouvant Ãtre confidentielle. Vous ne devez ni le copier ni l'utiliser ni le divulguer Ã qui que ce soit Ã moins que vous soyez le destinataire ou une personne dÃsignÃe autorisÃe. Si vous le receviez par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immÃdiatement et le dÃtruire.
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.
De : p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Pascal Rapicault
EnvoyÃ : Friday, February 25, 2011 10:17 AM
Ã : P2 developer discussions
Objet : [p2-dev] Improving logging in p2
Yesterday I have been involved in some fun p2 debugging sessions, and felt first hand the awkwardness of our debug / logging story.
The bottom line is that our .options file story just does not cut it. It may have been a good story 10 years ago but now it is an encumbrance.
- It is a file that nobody knows about or knows how to enable, it relies on keys that are specific to each part of the system and it does not compose very well.
- The debug info is directly written out on the sysout (not the best place)
- Can't change the debugging level at runtime (or at least not easily)
What I'm proposing is to change our debug logging to use slf4j. This pretty much gets us out of the business of logging, and leave the final decision to the integrator on which logging backend to use (log4j, logback, ...), and only add 37k footprint (slf4j-api.jar).
For the p2 being shipped in the SDK, we could decide to include the logback bundle to make it easy for ppl to use.
What do you think?
p2-dev mailing list