Re: [p2-dev] Proposal: Simplified installer/updater.

David,

Here is some untested code for an operation that cause the installation to be modified with only the IUs that are passed in.
IIRC this is the behaviour  you were after for one of the operation (the other I think can be built of this one since it basically takes all the IUs in the repo and install them "exclusively").
Would this, sugar coated with something like mentioned in bug 337016, fill your needs?

PaScaL

On 2011-02-09, at 10:35 PM, David Orme wrote:

Hi Susan,

I'm open to considering making this code part of the operations API, but right now have a hard time imagining it there.

Right now, the code is basically a 300 line script (that happens to be written in Java) that utilizes several Operations to get its job done.  In other words, it really feels to me like a layer of abstraction above operations.

I've looked at the code that Eugen and Scott wrote and their API is almost exactly what we've proposed as well.

Actually, theirs is probably a more proper abstraction layer on top of Operations and ours takes their idea one step further and really specifically enables some RCP use-cases.  (Theirs is designed as a remote-management API for Equinox-based server containers.)

So my own thinking is that we should try to take into account our own use-cases and  theirs as much as possible.

And to my thinking, that doesn't necessarily make sense as part of the Operations API.

However, I welcome attempts to convince me otherwise.  :-)  A code snippet showing how one would use one of our APIs, but reimplemented using Operations, to update an RCP application might be helpful to make it easier to imagine what you're considering.

Regards,

Dave Orme