Re: [p2-dev] Proposal: Simplified installer/updater.

Hi, Dave.
I see what you mean, it's a matter of whether you see it as a layer above, or just a factory/constructor that defaults all the parameters of an operation. I think both points could be argued, I just think that people will find your API useful and then want to tweak "that one little thing" which will make the layer look more and more like operations.

Today we have
new InstallOperation(session, collectionOfIUs); // install some IU's
and
new UpdateOperation(session); // update everything in the profile.

Yours and Eugen's API seems to want to simplify the following:
- session is implied as the session with the services of the running profile, vs. being a different agent
- you want to specify the URI's in the API rather than add them to the manager beforehand or create a ProvisioningContext
- I'm not sure how progress monitoring is handled
- you don't want to "drive" the operation's "resolve" and "perform" steps (we have two steps/jobs so the user can intervene and handle errors.)

So why not just have the API be
IStatus result = new ProfileSynchronizeOperation(someURIs).run();
or
IStatus result = new ProfileSynchronizeOperation(someURIs, collectionOfIUs).run()

This seems as simple as what you propose, but by being implemented as an operation, allows others to:
- set the session (if different than running instance)
- resolve/run in two different steps if user should intervene
- plug into the UI
- pass in progress monitors

susan

Inactive hide details for David Orme ---02/09/2011 07:35:51 PM---Hi Susan, I'm open to considering making this code part of theDavid Orme ---02/09/2011 07:35:51 PM---Hi Susan, I'm open to considering making this code part of the operations API, but