Re: [p2-dev] making p2 metadata serializable

On 2011-01-23, at 9:35 AM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

> Tycho is expected to detect and discard incompatible cached target
> platform, so automatic class version validation performed during java
> deserialization is actually desired behaviour.
>
> Tycho build target platform is a mixture or p2 and tycho objects and
> java de/serialization seems like a convenient standard mechanism. I
> realise it is not hard (albeit tedious) to write Tycho specific
> de/serializable logic for p2 metadata but I am concerned about
> maintenance of this code. When a new field is added to p2 metadata,
> we'll have to somehow learn about it and update our custom
> de/serializable logic accordingly. Unfortunately, most likely we won't
> know about the new field until somebody runs into very hard to diagnose
> cache misbehaviour.
	ATM, my concern around marking the API classes serializable is how do we communicate the fact that we will not support backward compatibility, etc.
	At this point, I'm not convinced that the benefit wroth you get the hassle we'll get :)
	Given that you have a bunch of IU objects, you could simply create a new repository at the location of your liking, dump all the IUs in it, and reload that at a later point when you are short-circuiting resolution.