Re: [p2-dev] making p2 metadata serializable

Hi Igor,

We talked about this last year, and the problem with serialization is the constraints placed on the format with respect to API.  Once we declare the p2 metadata serializable, it would seem that you could read / write the data without worry. However, if a new field is added to the metadata, this assumption will break.

FWIW, a while ago I experimented with my own class structure that mirrored the metadata (for each class associated with the p2 metadata, there is a corresponding interface -- so this isn't too hard). I maked these as serializable and used this format.  While it was better / faster / smaller than the compressed XML, the results weren't that impressive.

HTH,
Ian