From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff McAffer
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 7:30 PM
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] How can the product publisher use java profiles ?

These look like bugs/deficiencies to me.  Please open a bug report and, if possible, attach patches.

Jeff

On 2011-01-14, at 4:35 AM, Yousouf, Shenol wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply ! See my comments below:

AFAIK we do not ship an application that just publishes the JRE IU.

This is not my intention too. J We want to publish a full-bloodied OSGi product to be installable from a p2 repository. Some of the bundles, included in the product, require specific versions of the jdk packages. The versions are described in a java profile file which is loaded through a startup parameter by the OSGi framework.

You are free to create your own profile to represent a JRE that you do know about and then publish using that info.

Well, the problem is that I don’t know how to pass that info to the publisher.

In fact, I suspect that the publisher can’t read an external profile at all, even though the functionality to use such a profile is there. I judge by the experience I had while debugging the publisher code. I encountered a few interesting moments in the code which I’d like to comment with you.

To get a little bit more technical:

1) the JREAction class has two constructors to accept external profiles. However, in productive code, both constructors are called with null parameters (some marked with TODO comments) which make the publisher to resort to a hardcoded profile from a hardcoded location.

2) Even if there are versions specified in the profile, publisher silently ignores them by passing null for a package version to the MetadataFactory in JREAction.generateJRECapability(String id, Version version).

My experience is based on the bundles shipped with Eclipse 3.7M4.

Can we fix this behavior ? Or am I simply running the product publisher the wrong way ?

Thanks and regards,

Shenol Yousouf

SAP Labs Bulgaria