[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [p2-dev] Documentation: How to setup p2 to provision custom osgi platform
- From: Madhav Bhargava <unmarshall@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:43:48 +0530
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=gc1goIqbkzEvVak0M3qJj1b7UheP6dHkJRsL1utZ8zDE8Q90CnmVU7fu6HisQQS9sZ QSqZ1OZ03mwN9gZyeyhP7aHaEO2VR0/na67U9OuIhjbNCwSM4O1dGbad6DMTJaId2Lt8 KYm8PAIpOExBvNCRRG3WJmYV7aopl2XUkHQQ8=
Thanks for your response. Let me give you a little more details on what i am looking for. We have a layered architecture. Where each layer has different functionality. The bottom most layer has the core bundles that are required for the osgi platform to start. Now these can contain only equinox bundles or/and bundles from other distribution (felix) as well. So i need to create a custom osgi platform which i found was pretty easy with pax-runner but pax-runner cannot be used for a enterprise level provisioning system so now i need to consider p2.
I already visited the director application link but did not get much information on how to go about using it. I have the following questions:
1. Can i represent each functionality set as a feature or a profile?
2. If feature was the way to go then what would be the way to create a feature out of existing osgi bundles using maven?
3. We are interested in creating both console and UI for provisioning bundles on our target platform. Our preference would be command line admin functionality and then we would slowly move to UI based admin UI and management console.
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
However i just do not seem to find any documentation of how do i start using equinox p2 to provisioning all the layers of the our osgi platform. The documentation i found was mostly about how to you start eclipse using p2 equinox or how do you install/uninstall/stop/start/update bundles on the eclipse platform. I am using equinox but i want more control in defining my own set of bundles that constitute the osgi platform on top of which i provided other layers.
I agree that there could/should be more doc but am a little unclear on which doc in particular you need. Seems like you want to look for stuff related to the Director app and Ant tasks. See the help doc here (director application
1. Is there any documentation which de-links eclipse from p2 and just tells how to use p2 as a provisioning system to just bring up either pre-configured equinox or custom configured platform?
2. I was not able to find much information on the console commands for provisioning using p2. Any link would be highly appreciated.
Yeah, there does not seem to be much around. I fyou have the p2.console bundle installed and type help you should get a very (very) short help on each command. These are not generally "end-user" so not a lt of effort has gone into doc.
They are part of every equinox build. For example,
see the section marked "p2 Provisioning Tools" (twist the little arrow to see the downloads).
p2-dev mailing list
When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do