Re: [p2-dev] Use of uncompressed metadata repositories

Most people should be using the zipped format.  I'm personally not too fussed about the uncompressed version, as we have a solution (compress it).  There is at least one good use for the uncompressed version however, and that's if you are only accessing local repositories (and you have lots of disk space). In this case, the extra time to unzip the repo might not be worth it.

There is another interesting problem with our repositories (and the duplication of licenses), and that's the amount of garbage we produce when parsing. While we do use a String pool, we first create separate strings, then find the duplicates in the pool.  I noticed that parsing a 50M (unzipped) repository took over 200M of heap space.

cheers,
ian