Re: [p2-dev] Reuse of P2 UI

Eugen,
The snapshot you included shows the Install Wizard's "Available Software" page, which is implemented in the class AvailableIUsPage (internal class, not API). It is really not designed to be used outside of a wizard scenario. The class AvailableSoftwareGroup (also internal) is intended to be reused in any composite. For example, it is used by PDE. However, it does not include all the checkboxes, etc. that you see in the page. While it was designed to be reused, it is internal so that we can change the public methods as needed from release to release.

Can I ask why you need the pages but not the wizard? Are you trying to change the page flow, add pages, ??? Maybe there's another way to accomplish what you want?

The classes I mention above are internal because we didn't have wide demand for reuse outside of the wizard framework and we want flexibility to refactor or improve the code without worrying about framework API breakage (such as changing protected methods, etc.) There's typically some coupling between pages and wizards and we want to be able to evolve this.

The class InstalledSoftwarePage is the page that appears in the Help>About>Installation Details. This is a completely different thing. It shows what software is already installed. It is available as API (but marked @noinstantiate) because RCP apps refer to it by extension point in the installationPages extension.

Bottom line - our intention is that you use the install wizard as is, or if you prefer, the p2 (Mylyn) discovery install wizard. We haven't really factored the code so that you can take individual pieces, except for a few API classes like AcceptLicensesWizardPage, where we had wider demand.

susan

Inactive hide details for Eugen Reiswich ---11/09/2010 02:21:35 PM---Hi Susan, thanks for the hint, that solved the NPE problemEugen Reiswich ---11/09/2010 02:21:35 PM---Hi Susan, thanks for the hint, that solved the NPE problem. However I'm still a bit lost in reusing the P2 UI in my RCP view (

          Eugen Reiswich <ereiswich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          11/09/2010 02:21 PM
          Please respond to P2 developer discussions