Re: [p2-dev] How to build an update site for a product?

Thank you for the suggestion, Michael. I understand that the features included in a product can't be updated without updating the product itself and I've set up something similar to yours to work around this issue. Just as in your case, what are you going to do if you find you need to ship a new osgi runtime or webserver? Although the product package works as a stub and its size is small, it still has the chance to be updated. My question is how you are going to ship that update to the product. It's more important in your case because your customer has to pick up the product as a stub and reinstall the real features after the product update.

Best Regards

Samuel Wu

Inactive hide details for Michael Mangeng ---09/09/2010 07:43:48 AM---Samuel, P2 searches the update site for bigger versions oMichael Mangeng ---09/09/2010 07:43:48 AM---Samuel, P2 searches the update site for bigger versions of the IUs installed local.

Michael Mangeng <michael.mangeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

09/09/2010 07:43 AM

Re: [p2-dev] How to build an update site for a product?

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Samuel,

P2 searches the update site for bigger versions of the IUs installed local.
Then it presents the result to you. What matters matters are the "root components" (don't know how the p2 guys call those) like your product.

e.g.: the whole software is installed by deploying 1 product - this product contains 10 sub-features or plugins => you can only update this product e.g. 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 - but you cannot update one of the sub-features because the product stats that it needs the exact versions of plugin/feature x defined in the product.

with this approach you get 1 big build, which is only updateable as a whole.

for my case (building automation server) i created a "base installation"-product.
in my case this contains:
+ osgi runtime
+ webserver
+ a plugin which exposes a p2 administration servlet - there i can manage repositories, perfom updates, install new features and do reverts. (i want to set this open source but in the last days i can't find time to create some docs for it...)

=> then i export this product and deploy it where it has to run.

after this i can open the p2 admin website of this installation in the browser and install what is needed for this specific installation.

the advantages are:
+ you got a minimized installation
+ you can update sub-components also => you don't need to build "a big new product" for every bugfix.

if i want to update a feature, i simply increment the version of the changed plugins and the version of the feature. then export it on the update site and it can be installed.

hope this helps for your case.

greetings,
Michael