[p2-dev] Use of P2 with non-Eclipse based applications

Hi,

I am working on a desktop application that uses OSGI and the Eclipse plug-in registry. We are looking at P2 and wondering if it is possible to re-use it as part of our plug-in update mechanism.

I've been reading the developer documentation at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2, but it's unclear to me if we can hook into P2 - and if so - is there a step-by-step guide for integration for non-Eclipse based applications? (Our UI is Java Swing).

I'm also wondering if P2 only works with the Equinox implementation of OSGI, or if it works with others?

Thank you,
Jennifer