From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pascal Rapicault
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:21 PM
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] P2 Isolation

Hi Katya,

Congratulations! This is a pretty impressive result, especially given that you are still able to install the SDK (I have not tried it myself). I wonder what else you'll be doing to p2 to shrink it even further :)

I glanced through the archive you sent and I have the following remarks / questions:
* Removal of ECF. At this point you have done it by changing the code in FileReader to not longer use the ECF APIs. However to be able to merge this back into HEAD, I think we would have to make Transport be API and making it pluggable using the IAgentServiceFactory.
* Removal of extension point to the advantage of service. Given that the usage of extension / extension point is part of the p2 SPI, we have to make sure in the Eclipse setup that those are still read. For example in the case of the repository factories, we will likely have to introduce something like a RepositoryFactoryFactory (implementing the IAgentServiceFactory) in order to allow for the tiny setup you created to not depend on the extension registry.
* Registration of services: in 3.6, we put a lot of efforts to make p2 be super lazy (introduction of IAgentServiceFactory, usage of DS, etc), and as such starting a lot of services in activators would be a regression. Here again I think that the factory approach or something along those lines could work.
* Profile creation. You've added code to automatically a profile based on the set of running bundles. Does that mean that you need to be able to install bundles into the installer itself?

In any event, you've effectively demonstrated that p2 could be shrunk and I think that with the appropriate level of refactoring we should be able to merge that back in p2 mainstream when you are ready.

PaScaL