RE: [p2-dev] How to query feature's plugins/IUs from p2 metadata?

Hi,

>Could you please tell more about what is the final goal?

Yes, sorry for the unclear message.

We are developing a GUI tool that is used to manage different P2 update repositories.

Its main purpose is to allow users to manage P2 update repositories with ease so that

the server/repository remains always functional (metadata is correct for other P2 based

update/install tools).

Some of its features include

-          Adding IU

-          Modifying IU

-          Deleting IU ( including deleting obsolete IUs from the repositories safely, e.g. taking care of dependencies etc.)

-          Category management

-          Other repository management stuff

At the moment I would like to show to the users detailed information about different IUs that they have selected from the GUI.

Currently we are showing the basic stuff like repository name, IU name, IU version etc.

Now I would like to show which IUs from the repository actually belongs to (are part of) the selected IU (or feature) .

Just like they were previously listed in the feature.xml file, when feature’s plugins were listed inside <plugins> -tag.

>Relying on the shape of the metadata can only get you so far since the mapping between features and metadata is not API and could be changed in the future.

We are quite familiar with the P2 API. I have been following its progress closely since early 2009 and tested its functionality quite much. The lack of decent

documentation / use cases has been a bit of concern to our development team. Fortunately it has been improved over these Eclipse 3.6 M? and RC? releases.

I agree that it is not reasonable to rely on structure of the p2 metadata file. The QueryUtil (from import org.eclipse.equinox.p2.query.QueryUtil package)

and its functionality seems a good starting point to retrieve different information from the metadata but I have not quite figured it out yet, thus

my question here.

Can we use QueryUtil or what is your opinion how this information should be retrieved?

Best Regards, Mika Immonen