Re: [p2-dev] Creating a Target Platform and p2...

The PDE folks should comment on the workflow topics but I'll comment on the more generic Target Platform topic.  Target platforms are NOT software installs.  You *add* things to the target.  They are not *installed*. This is an important difference.  Adding something to a target platform gets the bytes and makes them available to be run. A target platform may contain many conflicting or mutually exclusive bundles. The user creates launch configs or product defs that identifies bundles/features from the workspace and the target.  *This* set should be a consistent, resolvable collection of bundles/features as it will actually be run.

So with that context we are faced with a double edged sword. On the one hand, as you point out, users like the convenience of adding X to their target and getting everything that X depends on.  On the other hand, if you were to do that with some SDKs you would get way too much stuff for any normal situation and you would be stuck resolving the target and dealing with all the conflicts.

That is the purpose of the two "modes". With the checkbox selected, PDE attempts to resolve the target and make it consistent.  With the box deselected, PDE just gets what you said you wanted.

The rationale for using only the selected repo is unknown to me.

Note also that this is really a PDE topic. p2 is, in this case, an underlying implementation detail of how target platforms work.

Jeff