[p2-dev] Re: [cross-project-issues-dev] Question concerning feature update site URLs...

Sorry, should have been more clear. JBoss Tools is *NOT* part of Helios. We're downstream from Web Tools, TPTP, BIRT & m2eclipse.

I'm only pointing out what we do from an ease of use / maintenance point of view, because these URLs are not even seen until AFTER the features are installed, and because by providing them they stick around forever (and must therefore be maintained too).

Since the platform provides the URL for Helios, and since you're in Helios, there's no reason to provide the same information again.

Even if you wanted to force a particular feature to believe that it should be updated from some other site than whence it came, I'm fairly certain that if you have multiple update sites listed in Eclipse, and each site contains a given feature update on them (eg., Helios official one, Your Project official one, someone else's patched version), p2 will read all the enabled sites and present you the latest version, regardless of what the installed feature's feature.xml says is its One True Update URL. I don't believe p2 has a notion of site or package version "priority", a la Debian's apt-get [1].

[1]http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

So if you wanted to install an update to the Foo Feature from the official Helios 1.0.0 version to 1.0.1.patched.by.someone.else, you'd have to first disable the Helios and project sites, then run an update from that single site. Or, if using install instead of update, you could uncheck the "Contact all update sites" box so only the single site would be seen.

Copying the p2-dev list for comment in case I'm way off kilter here.

Nick