Re: [p2-dev] Leveraging Mancoosi / EDOS tools (Google Summer of Code)

Hi,
   So my name is Çagdas Bozman. I am a student in computer science engineering (specialty languages and programming). I am at University Paris 7 Denis Diderot since four years. I have a bachelor's degree of computer science with honours.
    You can contact me at bozman.cagdas@xxxxxxxxx or on my web page (http://bozman.cagdas.free.fr).

    This project interests me because it groups two programming languages that I really like (Java and O'Caml) and combining these two languages can give something really interesting. This could be a very good experience.

    Moreover participating in an open source project is really rewarding for me.
    I'm already having an experience with O'Closure, which is an experimental binding for the Google Closure _javascript_ Library, to be used with O'Browser. It will allow to write complex Web interfaces fully in O'Caml and use them together with Ocsigen server and Eliom (see : http://ocsigen.org).

    My teachers Vincent Balat and Roberto Di Cosmo told me a little about this project.
    So working with this project can be really useful for all the open-source community. Using myself Ubuntu I imagine how it can be difficult to manage with all the interdependencies between all the packages. So working on it and make it easier to Eclipse users and developers, allowing to show critical interdependencies among Eclipse plugins can be really interesting.
   My goal will be to convert interdependencies among Eclipse plugins and/or OSGi bundles into CUDF (which is a unified distribution independent format that allow to encode upgrade problems).

   On component repositories represented in CUDF, a wealth of static analysis have been designed, implemented and built (see for example the strong dominator graphs computed daily here for Debian and Mandriva: http://data.mancoosi.org/dominators/).

   Working on this project will make these powerful analysis available to Eclipse users and developers, allowing to show critical interdependencies among Eclipse plugins can be really interesting.

   Working with Mancoosi, Debian and Eclipse is really stimulating for me.
A first goal would be to write a converter between Eclipse plugins dependancies and the CUDF format. Like that we will be able to experiment Mancoosi tools (written in O'Caml) on Eclipse repositories.

Since the Java dependencies are more intricate than those found in GNU/Linux distributions, maybe a new designed for the CUDF format will be necessary.

Finally we will explore how to incorporate these tools in Eclipse (maybe embed O'Caml in Java).