[p2-dev] p2 profile not generated within an Eclipse based product

Hi,

I am exporting an eclipse based product with the product wizard. I
have added all the p2 plug-ins to this product. The p2 directory is
created by my generated eclipse product at start-up. Inside I have
only: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine. And in this directory, besides a
.settings dir, there is an empty "profileRegistry" directory.

Therefore when I try to check for updates I get:
"Cannot complete the request. This installation has not been
configured properly for Software Updates".

The error message in the log is:
!MESSAGE Could not locate the running profile instance. The
eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set
correctly in this application's config.ini file.
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.core.ProvisionException:
Could not locate the running profile instance. The
eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set
correctly in this application's config.ini file.
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.sdk.ProvSDKUIActivator.getSelfProfileId(ProvSDKUIActivator.java:170)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.sdk.PreloadingRepositoryHandler.execute(PreloadingRepositoryHandler.java:49)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:294)
	at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
	at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)

I added the two properties manually to the config.ini:
eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2/
eclipse.p2.profile=SDKProfile

But the message and the error are the same because of the missing
profile directory.
When I copy the SDKProfile.profile from my development Eclipse
instance, the updates work properly.

So the two questions to take are:
1. How can I properly set the two properties
(eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2/  and
eclipse.p2.profile=SDKProfile) during the product generation process?
2. What should I do for p2 to properly generate also the profile directory?

Thanks!

--
MSc Gabriel Petrovay
Mobile: +41(0)787978034