Re: [p2-dev] GSOC Project - Power-user p2 views

Hi, Isuru.
Some of the differences that come to my mind when I think about a power view:
- ability to view all IU's in the repo vs. the filtered view that the current p2 UI uses (it shows only "groups", the higher level IU's that represent eclipse features)
- ability to select and install from a modeless view rather than a task-based wizard
- exploring alternate filterings/groupings like Synaptic does (things that represent updates, things that represent the installation, everything that is available, etc.)
- p2 has a new query language in 3.6 - perhaps a way to input a query that is run against the repository and shows the results

>From my point of view, many of the building blocks for these things are already in place, we are talking about rearranging things to suit a different workflow. Because so many of the pieces already exist, I thought that adding an"additional angle" will make the project more meaty.

One approach is to add features to this UI based on feedback from users. Perhaps the Buckminster guys might have ideas about "power tooling" features for p2.
If this is your area of interest, I think it's important to ensure you have users to help drive the evolution of the UI past the initial workflows.
Ian, Thomas, Pascal, etc.?...do you guys have thoughts?

Another approach is to incorporate technology from another project, such as e4. I suggested an e4 or even a web angle because it also coincides with some of the e4 work that I'm doing this summer. For example, one approach might be to implement it first as an eclipse 3.6 view and then ensure it runs in both 3.6 and the e4 compatibility layer. Then, you could refactor the code such that the bulk of the code looked more like an e4 model contribution, using dependency injection to get things like the composite parent, etc. It is possible to structure the code so that in 3.6 you would use code that subclassed the View hierarchy, etc. and then injected and called the methods on the e4-style code. This refactoring is not necessary from a p2 point of view, it's just an area of interest of mine.

I am happy to mentor you on the project regardless of the direction you take, but I think that if you want to push the envelope on power-user UI features then you'll want ensure there are real users with real needs to help drive the project, whereas I would probably not be using the tool day to day in my normal workflows....

susan

Inactive hide details for Isuru Udana ---03/31/2010 03:00:27 AM---I went through few Linux package managers. I think synaptic pIsuru Udana ---03/31/2010 03:00:27 AM---I went through few Linux package managers. I think synaptic package manager is a good example for our task. But If we implement

          Isuru Udana <isudana@xxxxxxxxx>

          03/31/2010 03:00 AM