Re: [p2-dev] GSOC 2009 Project - Power-user p2 views

Thank you for getting in touch with us and your enthusiasm.
Please be sure to follow carefully the registration steps when they will be announced on the gsoc MLs and add your information to application that I copied to the 2010 page (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010_Ideas)

PaScaL

On 2010-03-09, at 12:30 PM, Isuru Udana wrote:

Thank you for your clarification. It is very helpful me to take the initial step to begin work.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Susan Franklin McCourt <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>From where I can find more info of the project ?

The best/first thing to do is to familiarize yourself with the current p2 UI in the Eclipse SDK, and with some of the Linux package management/update UI's that are out there or being developed. (For example, there is work going on in Ubuntu in this space). That will help you to understand what these "power users" are expecting.

>From an implementation point of view, it's best to read up on the various wiki topics surrounding p2. [1]
There is a lot out there, not all of it up to date. Some of the UI topics are itemized in [2].

Later on, there are decisions to make about how this would be implemented.
For example, it might be interesting if you were to implement this new UI using "e4" [3] rather than the eclipse 3.x API's.
Or, it might be nice to implement it with a web technology and see how that plays, something similar to [4].
In particular, I'd be more interested in mentoring a student with an e4/web angle because it dovetails onto some of my other work planned this summer.

The project description is purposefully vague to leave you a lot of room for creativity. The project definitely involves some pure UI design work (who are the users of this new tool and how will it be purposefully different from the current UI) as well as implementation.

susan

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_User_Interface
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4