[p2-dev] Update eagerness

Hi,
I have a problem that I'm uncertain how to interpret. I might be a bug in p2, or it might be me who misinterprets what's expected of the p2 resolver.

I have a feature A with a dependency to a bundle B. The dependency is expressed with a range [1.0.0,1.1.0). In my repository I first have:

 A version 1.0.0
 B version 1.0.0

p2 installs it correctly into my runtime. At some point in time, my repository is changed to contain:

 A version 1.0.1
 B version 1.0.1

The dependency from A 1.0.1 to B is left unchanged, i.e. the range is still [1.0.0,1.1.0). Now I ask p2 to update my runtime from this repository. I end up with:

 A version 1.0.1
 B version 1.0.0

Looking only at this resolution, it is correct. The range permits A 1.0.1 to use B 1.0.0. What confuses me is that p2 finds a later version of B that is satisfied by the requirement but it chooses not to install it. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

- thomas

Back to the top