Re: [p2-dev] Match/Context naming

On 02/24/2010 11:07 PM, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
How about just Query, and IterativeQuery?

And which one is which :-) ?

createIterativeQuery as in:

"Creates a query that will iterate over all candidates and apply the given *boolean expression* on each"

OR

createIterativeQuery as in:

 "Creates a query using an *expression that will iterate over its input*"

Ian and I discussed the naming on IRC. What we concluded is close to what you propose here (assuming the first interpretation of iterable). We agreed that since one of the queries is a short form of the other, i.e. the boolean expression "<bx>" can always be written as the full query "select(x | <bx>)", we can loose the term 'context'. The term 'match' then becomes useful to denote the short form. That means that:

createQuery(expression)
"Creates a query using an expression that expects full access to all candidates"

createMatchQuery(matchExpression) "Creates a query that will iterate over all candidates and discriminate by applying the boolean matchExpression on each candidate"

I'm content with these names and explanations. Do they sound OK to everyone?

- thomas

Back to the top