Re: [p2-dev] Review wanted. Simplifying the IQueryResult/IQuery API

I find it's always better to use the Java Collection API method names where possible. It reduces confusion and makes the API a little easier to use and understand for a newcomer. It also allows for mixing interfaces - creating a class that implements both Collection and IQueryResult, for example. Since the spec of Collection.toArray() clearly states that it returns a copy I don't see a problem with using the name toArray.

     * The returned array will be "safe" in that no references to it are
     * maintained by this collection.  (In other words, this method must
     * allocate a new array even if this collection is backed by an array).
     * The caller is thus free to modify the returned array.<p>

John

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/17/2009 05:36 PM

Please respond to

p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [p2-dev] Review wanted. Simplifying the IQueryResult/IQuery API

Ian, Pascal,
I'll add the two methods, and also rename the 'toArray()' method to 'copyAsArray()' for consistency. This means that some of the current use of 'iterator()' can be optimized and I will look into changing that also.

Does that sound OK?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren