From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pascal Rapicault
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:51 PM
To: P2 developer discussions
Cc: P2 developer discussions; p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] p2 installer tool - unexpected IUs uninstallation

This is because this examplary installer is meant to only install one product.
If you don't need a UI, then you can use the director application:
http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/p2_director.html

PaScaL

Inactive hide details for "Stoilov, Dimo" ---10/28/2009 09:18:39 AM---Hello,"Stoilov, Dimo" ---10/28/2009 09:18:39 AM---Hello,

"Stoilov, Dimo" <dimo.stoilov@xxxxxxx>

10/28/2009 09:18 AM

[p2-dev] p2 installer tool - unexpected IUs uninstallation

Hello,

We encountered the following issue with the equinox p2 installer tool (http://download.eclipse.org/equinox/drops/R-3.5.1-200909170800/download.php?dropFile=equinox.p2.installer-3.5.1-win32.win32.x86.zip). Having a repositories Repo1 and Repo2 that have no common IUs:
1) Create an installation by running the installer pointing to Repo1
2) then switch to Repo2 hoping to add more stuff. However after running the installer we found out the existing stuff (from Repo1) got uninstalled.

Is this the expected behavior? May be there would be more useful and more intuitive to just add the new stuff to the already existing IUs instead of uninstalling the existing stuff. In the same way like the P2 UI in help->"check for updates"/"install new software"

Looking at the generated ProfileChangeRequest (in the code) - all the existing IUs are set for removal, and the new ones set for addition.

Greetings,
Dimo