Re: [p2-dev] p2: Migration question for large scale Eclipse deployment

Hey Achim,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see Yoxos is used for a consistent Eclipse setup on each client computer. So it would be a great tool to provide 5 different setups for our users to choose from, which then gets installed on their computer. That is fine for a Windows environment, but in our case no user shall install anything. There is only one installation of the software on the server. All Solaris workstation share this global installation.

You are likely looking at Yoxos OnDemand.  That is just one example--Yoxos works in a number of different modes depending on the scenario at hand.

Looking at your usecase description it seems that you want bundles to be shared and have each user's configuration info written in their home dir. In p2 (and Yoxos) terms, you have a shared "bundle pool" on an NFS mount and a local or individual p2 "data area" (typically in the Eclipse configuration dir).  Each user may run a different configuration of bundles but no users actually end up with bundles copied to their machine or home dir or...  Does that match your situation?

Tim pointed out the bundles.info file.  That is indeed the root of a modern Eclipse install's configuration. It lives in the org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator directory of the configuration area. The file format is relatively simple and in fact, this function sits below p2.  That is, you don't have to have any p2 around for the simple configurator and bundles.info to work. In essence, p2 is a really (really) powerful mechanism for editing the bundles.info file :-)  So if you have a set of bundle locations around and know exactly what bundles need to be installed etc, then you can craft a bundles.info on the fly and run Eclipse. This is probably the fastest path given what you already have.

Eventually there may be some issues with plugins and features that expect various configuration information to be setup when they are installed. For example, some bundles may want to be started at a particular start level or have some files chmod'd or ...  Without actually running p2 to do the install (e.g., create the bundles.info) that information may be lost. If your environment is closed/constrained then you can likely figure out what these issues are and setup something manually.

If you need to go a step further then check out the "director application".  That is p2's command line installer (don't be thrown off by the word "installer").  Its got lots of different options and settings that could well help.

Where things like Yoxos help is in
- the management of the bundle pool (garbage collecting, ensuring it is consistent, ...),
- the definition of consistent configurations that individual users use.  (e.g., what do C developers have in their tool chain? What about Java devs, ... and ensuring that these configurations are consistent)
- the seamless and transparent running of the configurations for individual users based on various criteria you define (role, dataset, update policy, ...).  Yoxos essentially runs the p2 setup code to create the bundles.info and associated structure.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Actually, what we need is no "provisioning" for the end user. He/She shall never be bothered with updates, plugin dependencies etc. Everything is done only once by the system administrator.
It works fine now the way I described, all we need is a way (that does not cost weeks of work) to achieve the same result with Eclipse 3.5.

-Achim