RE: [p2-dev] Backporting p2 to Eclipse 3.4

> I managed to successfully backport the Galileo p2 functionality to
> Ganymede. I tried a simple update example and it works; I also tried
> an example using

> a Policy defined by myself and it works. But of course that I ran
> into some problems:

> 1) - the update site generated with Eclipse 3.4 is not compatible
> with the Galileo p2 provisioning (the one generated with Eclipse 3.5
> works fine); I guess I kind of saw that coming and that it has
> something to do with the org.eclipse.pde.p2.ui you mentioned. Is it
> there where the update site project functionality is implemented?

I'm rather surprised as the metadata format has not changed between 3.4 and 3.5. I think you are probably better using 3.5 generation anyway, but if you wanted to open a bug about the specific problems you are encountering that could be useful for further migration.

> 2) - the About dialog functionality you mentioned. I found some
> classes in the org.eclipse.ui.workbench that implement the
> functionality (InstallationPage, InstalledSoftwarePage,
> ProductInfoPage, AboutPluginsPage, aboutSystemPage). Are these the
> only ones or are there any other related to p2?

See Susan's answer in a previous email.

> 3) - I cannot find a consistent example on how to properly generate
> and configure an update site that would update my specific features/
> plugins, my Eclipse

> platform plugins and also some other stuff I have in my product
> (like folders with executables, libraries and configuration files).
> Dou you know of any such examples?

The only publicly available example that I know of is the eclipse SDK. We basically build it like an RCP product and each new build produces a new version of the IU that represents the porduct. Having one such root allows for easy addition and removal of functionality as new versions of your product become available.
However this example does not deliver a file outside of the eclipse/ directory. That said if you search through the history of this forum you may find a few good data point, and with detailed questions you may get a quick answer here as well.

Also you may want to look at http://www.slideshare.net/PascalRapicault/understanding-and-extending-p2-for-fun-and-profit or take a look at Ian's recent webcast http://live.eclipse.org/node/789