[p2-dev] Help with creating P2 update site

I asked about this a while back, but got sidetracked with other work before I could figure it out.  If this is the wrong place to ask, please point me to the right place.

I have a feature that has several plugins and plugin fragments, that was originally developed for 3.2.  It's been updated along the way,  but it continues to work with every version of Eclipse since then, up until now (3.5).  It will install and runs just fine on Eclipse 3.5, but only if installed via the classic updates capability (by adding an extension location).  I want to get it to work properly with p2.  I'm assuming that the best way to do this is to create a proper update site, but the tools are creating something uninstallable.

I have this dependency structure:  feature.a provides plugin.b, plugin.c, plugin.d.  plugin.b is independent (help content). plugin.c requires plugin.d.  I have two plugin fragments (language packs) for plugin.c and plugin.d.

I created an update site in Eclipse, using the wizard, and basically just left everything as generated.  I added feature.a and clicked build.  It generates a feature.a.version.jar file in a features directory, and the plugin.b.version.jar, plugin.c.version.jar and plugin.d.version.jar files in a plugins directory.  Neither c or d seem to have any reference to their fragments, and while that's not my primary concern right now, I would like to know how to make sure those are included properly.  It also generates an artifacts.jar and content.jar, which each contain xml files of the same name. I can send copies if these files would be useful in solving my problem.  Speaking of which…

My problem: everything appears to build and generate without issues, but I can't install from the update site.  I get 4 errrors, all identical:

Operation Details
        -> Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
                -> Missing requirement: 1254503723371 0.0.0.1254503723371 requires 'feature.a.feature.group [4.10.1]' but it could not be found

I have nothing named anything like "feature.group", and the ID of the "plugin" that it's complaining about appears to be the timestamp of the attempted install (it's different each time I try to install, even if I haven't rebuilt in between).  What's going on?

Kristina Taylor
Software Developer, MKS Inc.
Waterloo, ON, Canada
519 883 3478