Re: [p2-dev] Backporting p2 to Eclipse 3.4

Hi Marius,

This is not something that we actively support nor that we have tried.
However I think it should be doable given that in 3.4 the dependencies on p2 from the other plug-ins was rather minimal. In fact, running the API usage tool [1], the only reference I got back was org.eclipse.pde.p2.ui, which I believe you could simply punt if it turned out to be incompatible.

However this will not get you the new about dialog behavior which provides a way for users to uninstall or revert since this relies on new functionality being introduced in UI plug-in in 3.5. That said this could probably easily be backported to 3.4 as well as this is rather self contained.

HTH

PaScaL

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.6M2-200909170100/eclipse-news-M2.html#PDE

Inactive hide details for "Cetateanu Marius-B01107" ---10/01/2009 02:51:35 AM---Hi,"Cetateanu Marius-B01107" ---10/01/2009 02:51:35 AM---Hi,

"Cetateanu Marius-B01107" <Marius.Cetateanu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/01/2009 02:51 AM

[p2-dev] Backporting p2 to Eclipse 3.4

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible and feasible to backport the whole
p2 updater feature
to Eclipse 3.4. We're working on an Eclipse based IDE and we cannot
update for the time being
to Eclipse 3.5 but we would benefit from having the p2 updater feature
from 3.5 in our product.
If it's possible (we have about 3 weeks to do the backporting) could
anyone point me to
the documentation I should read to start the process?

Thanks

Marius Cetateanu
DevTech  - Software Engineer
Freescale Semiconductor Romania SRL