Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

Hi Thomas,

I think the answer is that it will work. The two changes in repository format between 3.4 and 3.5 that I know of are:

 - Switched to using URI instead of URL. However for forwards-compatiblity we are still writing the old "url" attribute in the metadata as well as the new "uri" attribute. So, old clients should still work with this change.

 - Support for omni-versions. If your metadata contains only "OSGi versions" then a 3.4 client will be able to read them. Of course if you wrote different version types out using 3.5 then a 3.4 client would fail to read them.

John

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/04/2009 11:28 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

Hi,
I'm doing repository aggregations using a 3.5.x based P2. New
repositories are created and populated with meta-data and artifacts from
other repositories. If I use IU's from Galileo and other 3.4 sites as
input, and if I refrain from creating composite repositories, what are
the chances that the resulting repository will work using a 3.4 based
IDE? Will a newer P2 write things that cannot be understood by 3.4?

If the answer is yes, I would be interested in creating some kind of
backward compatibility layer, and would appreciate some help tracking
down what needs to be dealt with.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren