[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [p2-dev] Using remote zip'd repos in p2
- From: Nick Boldt <nickboldt@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:28:18 -0400
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=LfFJCFmoCwU7W6/ky/S9fHSm2x6sXa9LxgzUj2bZRBexN+i2F2trxAqMFovTtJN9GB oCQcKtYIAROCHHWkqKSH5ahAXaYI7UK/nlkkw3wBJpgi3pADSQc+BslNdfrCMtreAQd1 GVb8awK4p8rePAg1cbQ/q5m+LRANZW+AWkQWI=
+1. Remote update site zip support would be teh axxesome.
What about if the metadata was optionally provided as a second (and
third?) downloadable jar, like md5sums are?
Thus, user inputs this into p2 UI:
p2 interprets it as:
and corrects it in the UI.
Then it fetches
cracks THAT open to reveal content.xml, artifacts.xml, and can therefore
do the whole site introspection w/o having to dl a few megs of zip first
- no more to fetch than with an unpacked update site today.
Or, if you only need one of the two metadata files (I've no idea), then
you could instead fetch:
http://eclipse.org/equinox-sdk.content.jar or equinox-sdk.artifacts.jar**
* alternate filename ideas:
("Never meta.jar I didn't like.")
** more variations:
("Your repo is ajar.")
("Close, but no cjar!")
Ian Bull wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Do we have plans to support repos in the following form:
> By shipping all these "zip'd repos", it seems like it would be a good
> idea to let people craft their targets (or install their software)
> directly from Eclipse without first D/L the zips first. This appears to
> "almost work", but it looks like we set a timeout for the content.jar
> file. If we can download the repo, crack it open, and read the
> content.jar before the timeout, then we're golden. But if not, then all
> bets are off.
> Does anyone have thoughts on this?
> R. Ian Bull | EclipseSource Victoria | +1 250 477 7484
> http://eclipsesource.com | http://twitter.com/eclipsesource
> p2-dev mailing list
Nick Boldt :: http://nick.divbyzero.com
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena