[p2-dev] P2 dropins folder questions

In a shared Linux install, the Eclipse folder is owned by "root" so the "eclipse/dropins" folder is not writable by normal users.

In the "eclipse/configuration/config.ini" file, I define a "personal" dropins folder in user's home directory using the "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory" property. Under this personal dropins folder I add a link file to point to an pre-P2 style extension site (no contents.xml or artifacts.xml). This works as I can see my extension plugins loaded by p2.reconciler.dropins.

A couple of questions on this kind of configuration:

1) Based on this document http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Getting_Started
"The Eclipse platform ships with a default watched directory called dropins. The dropins folder is configured to be scanned during startup, and for changes to be immediately applied to the running system."
How do I configure my "personal" dropins folder so thus Eclipse can auto-discover changes without restarting Eclipse and apply changes to the running system?

2) If No.1 is possible, does it work for link file? I only have one link file under my "personal" dropins folder, but the content of the link file will change at runtime.

3) If No.1 is not possible, how do I call P2 API to remove old extension bundles and add new extension bundles?

Thanks,
Andy

Back to the top