Re: [p2-dev] What can enablement filters contain?

Hmm, actually these filters don't operate at all at the UI level as far as I know - I misread your original question. They are used when "resolving" the install to compute what IU's need to be installed based on the user selection. You could achieve something similar by having your plugins specify an appropriate version range for their dependencies on the platform (for example require org.eclipse.core.runtime [3.4, 3.5) to allow only install into 3.4.). However, neither dependency ranges nor filters will prevent things from being shown in the list of available features displayed to the user. I don't know any way to do this at the moment, but perhaps Susan has ideas. It's worth entering as an enhancement request at the very least.

John

Terry Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/18/2009 02:05 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [p2-dev] What can enablement filters contain?

Thanks John.

This is actually for one of the external-facing developer plugins, where independent users will come to our update site.  So their profiles will not have any properties supplied by us.  We don't want to upgrade their Eclipse version to 3.5 just to install our development plugins, so we would like to match the IU we show them to either 3.4 or 3.5.  The requirements of the IUs will be specified correctly, we just want to limit what is presented so we don't have to present "XXX (for Eclipse 3.4)"  "XXX (for Eclipse 3.5)".

Can anyone think of a property that would work for this?

--Terry

You can filter on any property defined in the profile. There is no specific property denoting an Eclipse 3.4 versus 3.5 install, but you could always add a new property for 3.5-based installs and then filter on the existence of that new property.

John

Terry Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/18/2009 01:30 PM

Please respond to
P2 developer discussions <
p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
[p2-dev] What can enablement filters contain?

I've never seen anything more than ws/os/arch and the "
org.eclipse.update.install.features=true" profile property in an enablement filter.  Can other properties be used?

Specifically, can I hide an IU that is only known to work with Eclipse 3.4 via this mechanism?  I'm wondering if I can provide different versions of a feature in the same repository and have the Eclipse UI only present the version that matches their base install.

Thanks,
Terry Parker