Re: [p2-dev] Latest readme for sdk

The fundamental difference is in the user experience.
When you don't generate metadata, p2 (like UM was doing) has to download all the feature jars to generate metadata on the user's machine and this in order to show you what can be installed. This generation can be quite costly as many small files have to be downloaded, but it also increases the likelihood for things to go wrong, causes more to download than what you just want to install, etc... and finally it can result in post download install failures because the complete metadata set is only known once all the plug-ins have been downloaded.

For all those reasons, and probably others, p2 metadata is the preferred way.

Inactive hide details for James D Miles ---06/12/2009 12:16:19 PM---I thought we were suppose to be able to generate the metadaJames D Miles ---06/12/2009 12:16:19 PM---I thought we were suppose to be able to generate the metadata on the fly. How is this different?

James D Miles <jdmiles@xxxxxxxxxx>

06/12/2009 12:16 PM

Re: [p2-dev] Latest readme for sdk

I thought we were suppose to be able to generate the metadata on the fly. How is this different?

Inactive hide details for John Arthorne ---06/12/2009 10:51:50 AM---Yes, this is still accurate, although the title should now John Arthorne ---06/12/2009 10:51:50 AM---Yes, this is still accurate, although the title should now say "Eclipse 3.4 or greater". Accurate metadata is required to corre

John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>

06/12/2009 10:51 AM

Re: [p2-dev] Latest readme for sdk

Yes, this is still accurate, although the title should now say "Eclipse 3.4 or greater". Accurate metadata is required to correctly resolve the patch.

John

James D Miles <jdmiles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/12/2009 11:14 AM

Please respond to
p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[p2-dev] Latest readme for sdk

This is in the latest readme for 0611-1540

Feature patches can only be installed from Eclipse 3.4-based update sites
Feature patches can only be installed from update sites designed for Eclipse 3.4
or greater. Specifically, the update site must have the necessary metadata for
Equinox p2 (a content.xml or content.jar file). This data can be generated by
building an update site using Eclipse 3.4 or newer, or running the p2 metadata
generator on an update site built using earlier versions of the Eclipse SDK.
See the help topic Generating p2 metadata for more details on running the p2
metadata generator (bug 244483).

Does this still apply?