Re: [p2-dev] Metadata Stamp

The publisher itself isn't the one writing the file - it is agnostic of particular repository implementations. One possibility is that the publisher can add a property to the repository with some kind of publisher version stamp. It wouldn't be part of the metadata format, but it could be used as a debugging tool. However, I suspect it will be misleading. The repository could be initially created by the publisher, but then manipulated by other tools later on. There is rarely a single "author" for a given repository.

Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/20/2009 12:17 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[p2-dev] Metadata Stamp

Has anyone looked at what would be involved with stamping the metadata with the version of the publisher used to write it?  This would help when debugging publisher problems as we could easily see what version (including qualifier) of the publisher was being used. I actually think is important enough to consider for 3.5. I know we are stamping the metadata with a version,  but that is often not enough.

cheers,
ian

http://eclipsesource.com | http://twitter.com/eclipsesource_______________________________________________