Re: [p2-dev] Pack200 and P2 rules headaches

John Arthorne wrote:

Yes, this is a potential problem. I think many of our packed artifacts currently require the Java 6 version of pack200 for unpacking. Another example I noticed this morning is source bundles, which don't contain any class files, are not packed in a backwards compatible way. I entered bug 275295 for this. I can't remember if there was a strong reason for using the java 6 edition of pack200 for the packing. Obviously if we packed with the java 5 edition of pack200, we wouldn't have this compatibility problem.

That's true, but it also require all projects to build their site using a Java 1.5. It entered its End Of Life period in April 2008 and will no longer be supported after October this year. It's easy to demand that all projects produce .class files targeted for 1.5, but I think it might be a bit harsh to demand that they all use old tools that are no longer supported.

Personally, I see this as a missing part of an otherwise good tool. Pack200 should have an option or something to control this. One way to overcome this deficiency is to check if a file is missing .class files and when that happens, change the magic. I've tried that, and it seems to work just fine.

- thomas

Back to the top